Sunday, April 8, 2012

Food Review: Manhattan Fish Market's Greatest Hits from The Ocean

This will be the first 'of-fish-cial' post for Tuck-Mm-Tuck!

466177_10151471005165300_102467240299_23784527_1880115928_o

What's better than to kick off the posting with a review of the so-called "Greatest Hits from The Ocean" from The Manhattan Fish Market? Since it's the Greatest HITS, sure 'tuck' one la right?

The Greatest Hits promotion features all their best seller packed into an offer so damn good you can't resist, or so they say! I shall not type so much and jump straight into the review ok??

What I ordered?
Most Popular

What is served?
1 Mediterranean Baked Fish
1 Seafood Olio
1 Caesar Salad
2 Fizzy Drinks (bottomless)

Price?
RM 39.90


Mediterranean Baked Fish


pic00006

They used a dory for this. Dory being dory, it's soft and mushy. Don't expect to get a good texture out of the fish, but the 'mediterranean' marinate was really a life saver. I don't know how 'mediterranean' the marinate was, but heck, it's packed with flavor, a flavor in which I'm not so familiar off. Don't start shouting if you bite into bits and pieces of peppercorns and some weird tasting dried herb. It's in the MARINATE!

pic00005

The garlic rice, pretty much the average rice you'll get from MFM. Pretty dry and nothing garlicky enough to pollute your breath. The vegetables served beside though, was bad. It's very obvious that the broccoli was 'fresh' from the freezer. Walao!! Frozen vegetables sucks! Too much of Chef Gordon eh? The carrots wasn't how I would imagine them to be. The rough cuts could have been better, or at least more consistent. Maybe it's just me.


Seafood Olio


pic00003

Ahhh, how can anyone cook Olio wrongly?

Let's start off with the pasta. The spaghetti was pretty well-done. Not overcooked, but just nice. Al Dente. Perfecto. Prego. Ya, just nice. Maybe it was the weather, or just plain luck. I don't really fancy eating pasta in fast food chain, so you know what I'm saying. The 'dressing' or the olive oil that dresses the pasta was well done too. Not too spicy, just enough salt to taste, and most importantly, it wont make you feel like you're drinking oil.

The seafood that comes with this olio? The shrimp was nice and crunchy, a sign of it being frozen before actually being cooked. The squids were nicely prepared, not overcooked, not undercooked. Just nice. The mussels? I find it a bit too chewy, and it tasted a lil' to 'fishy' for my liking. I never fancied mussels and their family, so it could be just me, again!


Caesar Salad


pic00001

Look at the amount of croutons! I mean, who wouldn't like croutons? I don't like them, but I love them! But this is too much. It's crunchy, and really really nice to eat. Having said that, every single bite is like eating an oil bomb. The oil literally explodes in your mouth, making you sick with each explosion. Don't get me wrong, I'm a total sucka for croutons. But this, is.. just too much. The salad was below average. The dressing used wasn't really 'tasty'. Well, it taste like a Caesar salad, but it's not the best you can have. The eggs (yea I know I'm even complaining bout the eggs) were overcooked. Just look at the black tone on the yolk. It would have been nicer if the yolk is just cooked, and even better slightly under cook. Again, it's just me, but the over cooked eggs don't really go well in salad. I don't like my salad to have dry bits of egg that tastes like powder. Or even makes me feel like I'm eating powder. They used romaine, which is okay. Wait, they're so generous that they even served me the stalk.

pic00002

Shouldn't that go in the thrash or something? Kanasai. 

So overall, tuck mm tuck?



Med. Baked Fish - Mm Tuck!
Seafood Olio - Tuck
Caesar Salad - Mm Tuck!
Fizzy Drinks - TUCK cuz it's bottomless and also we're Malaysians, and we love free refills!



I had my "Greatest Hits from The Ocean" from the MFM in Alamanda Putrajaya, what bout yours?

pic00007

More info at their FB page.
MFM Offfffishcial FB

2 comments: